What are you looking for?
Saturday, August 11, 2018

20 Things I've Learned Before 20


To many people turning twenty holds no big difference in their lives, we're at that awkward age where we're no longer a teenager yet we're not at the age of being twenty-one quite yet (so close yet so far!) Although to me turning twenty holds a small difference to me, as someone who clings to anything nostalgic, turning twenty marks a start and ending of an era in my life. I'm talking as if I'm already an aged woman but the years of my teenage life will hold a special place in me. Here is a list of twenty things I have learned about myself along the years, things & lessons I have learned from personal experiences. As I continue to turn a year older I hope to always continue to learn and grow, with that said, Enjoy! x


1. Cutting ties isn't always a horrible thing
What I've learned within the past years is that it's okay not to be in touch with people who no longer play a role in your life. You meet people, you lose some. It isn't the end of the world. You move on and develop new relationships and you now know who you want to surround yourself with.

2. Budgeting your money is important. 
Still something I need to work on, I regret not saving more money as soon as I started a job at 16 and throughout the other jobs I have worked after my first. But I've learned to spend my money more wisely just this year, thinking about the needs vs wants when deciding on spending my money on something. 

3. It's okay to say "No"
I also need to remind myself it's not evil for saying no or for not wanting to do something I don't like or feel comfortable about doing.

4. Learned to enjoy simplicity
Not everything is about the shine and glamour, sometimes the smallest things in life are what bring the most happiness at the end of the day.

5. Don't settle

That one boy may be nice for the moment, but never stick with someone you know who doesn't deserve you, know your worth. It can take some time for the right person but till then don't just settle down just cause you can have someone at the moment. 

6. Change is good

This point is self explanatory. We're always changing whether we like it or not. I'm glad I'm not the same person as I was when I was 15 or even the person I was a year or two ago!

7. Jealousy is an ugly trait

Whoever says that "being jealous" is sometimes cute, is completely wrong. It's normal to feel jealous but constantly envying over something someone has that you don't can be very destructive and toxic not only to yourself but to others around you too.

8. My parents will always have my back
No matter how many times I argue and bicker with my parents in the end I know I will always be able to count on them. I always remind myself this at the end of the day.

9. Not to feel bad if I want my pictures taken

I sometimes get shy when wanting to get a picture taken of myself and sometimes miss the opportunity of having a cute backdrop behind me (a nightmare!) but I've grown to just be more comfortable and ask whenever! I'll always have cute pictures to look back on and some to put up as #TBT's on Instagram! It's a win-win!

10. Exploring my home city is just as fun as exploring a new city

I've learned that I enjoy finding cute spots and new places in my city just as equally as I would if I were in a new city. I've grown to appreciate my city more as I was able to see more of it!

11. That breakup will hurt less over time

At the time I wouldn't have listened and kept moping, but it is true though. Over time the hurt of a broken heart will heal and hurt less as you move on. In the end the boys that I have cried over weren't worth the time and tears after the end! 

12. Procrastination will continue to be my worst enemy (which needs to be destroyed!)

This reflects more on my habits when it comes to school, I tend to throw things last second to finish which is a horrible habit that I know will be hard to quit. It'll bite me in the end like that one time I forgot about an exam to finish! (Major yikes!!)

13. Don't be too hard on myself
At the end of the day a mistake is a mistake, till this day I still try to remind myself that mistakes happen and it shouldn't ruin my mood completely. Thanks to the mistakes I have made I have learned a lesson from it all, whether it be a mistake I made in school, work, or anything else. 


14. Should have gotten into Star Wars years ago
I get it..I'm late on this! But I wish I had given this a chance years ago, who would have thought I'd be so into galactic drama?! But for real though, Star Wars has my heart now. 

15. Breaking out of my comfort zone is needed
Whether it was a new hair style, or wearing something out of my closet, it's always fun to experiment with new things. Who knows, maybe I'll end up enjoying the new style I'm trying out. 

16. Treat myself every once in awhile 
It's not too bad when I want to treat myself to a few new outfits, or treat myself to a new cafe I've been eyeing on Instagram for a while. It's nice to give back to myself after the long hours of working!

17. Everything won't always be my way, I need to suck it up
This things I've learned leans towards the smaller things in my life that aren't too big of a deal. Sometimes a day at work won't end the way I had imagined. Sucking it up and moving on is the best thing to do instead of sulking about it and worsening my mood.

18. I'll  become a cat person
For the longest time I have always called myself a dog lover, I still am but my life now revolves around my cats. I would have laughed if someone would have told my younger self I'd be obsessed with cats, but look at where I am now!

19. Concerts will always be my happy place
Concerts have always been my happy place ever since I was 13, I thought along the way I would grow out of this and move on from it. But nothing will beat the feeling of keeping a countdown to the night of a show, waiting for the lights and music to change seconds away from my favorite artist/band ready to appear. I've learned that nights like these will always hold a place in my heart.

20. Keeping a positive outlook on things will help on the long run
Coming from someone who is easily affected when something bad happens to her, I'm glad to have someone as positive as my boyfriend who helps me look at the brighter side of things, whether it be small or big. Maintaining a positive attitude on many things, and keeping that positive attitude is something I am still working on but this small advice has been helpful and will be from here on out. 

Add your comment

  1. this is a great list of learned things. I feel we get so much wiser as we live and experience things in this life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have learnt far more before you're 20 than I had... I think I'm only still coming to some of those conclusions now. Although I stil feel weird asking people to take my photo - that one you are farrrr more advanced than I am haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally hear you. Learning to say no, do not settle and enjoying the simple things. also sometimes cutting ties can be nothing but good x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can agree with a lot of these!Once you turn 20 time FLY'S bye So enjoy being in the present! I'll be 25 in November.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learning to say no and not settling should be learned as soon as possible. I am not twice your age and I can tell you the learning it just gets better....and scarier :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are excellent tips! I especially agree with #9 - I look back at some of the places I visited and wished I could have asked for someone to take my picture (or to take a better one, hehe).
    And #18, embrace it! Cats are awesome ;) Have you been to a cat cafe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is excellent advice! Some of these things I have learned for my life too. I am still learning not to be too hard on myself! I like things done right the first time, and it is frustrating when it isn't. BTW, I have also become kind of a cat person, primarily because my brother now owns one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great list! I wish I knew most of these before I turned 20 - probably would've saved me a lot of time and tears. I'm still learning though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely a great list! A person turning 30 could probably write the same list, so I think you're ahead of the curve! Welcome to your 20s!!

    -Jennifer
    https://maunelegacy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a very old soul. Beautifully said-www.soberfemale.com I wish I knew all of that at 20!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really good article! This is a very mature list I have to say :)
    Ambra
    https://theflairedit.com/

    ReplyDelete

@zellelacdan