What are you looking for?
Tuesday, September 26, 2017
3801 30th St, San Diego, CA 92104, USA

Reflecting on 2017


Once I'm alone with my thoughts one of the few things I truly enjoy doing is looking back on my life and where I am. For the past year I guess I could say I have had my up's and down's in regards with relationships with a lot of the people I had been around for some time & some new people that entered my life. Some I continue on having good connections with, and some I am glad I had cut ties with. Other than relationships with people around me, I had to deal with the transitions from being in a tight environment to getting released into the "adult world". I am still learning the do's and don't's of "adulting" as us younger people refer it to.  As the last few months of this year speed up I can say, with all my heart, 2017 was the year I began to grow, and from here I will continue. 


In the beginning of 2017 I had no motivation with my education. I had been only doing the bare minimum and was perfectly fine with that, although looking back at my habits if I were to still have continued with that mindset it would have taken me much longer to move up and transfer. Although I was doing "ok" in school I preoccupied my time with working, with majority of online classes I was able to work way more than I do now.  I had friends who were lucky enough to leave our hometown and truly experience their first year of college. I was jealous, I wondered, "Why couldn't have my parents worked hard enough before this to send me off?",  of course it was never my parents fault. I should not have blamed them and made them feel bad for something they financially couldn't have done for me as much as they wanted it to happen. Instead later on I was thankful my parents didn't have go through that struggle, I have been thankful for all their sacrifices to provide for me. 


I was envious of the many things kids my age were able to do away from home. Why couldn't I be having "fun"? In no way am I looking down on the things people do but now, the things I wish I was able to do don't quite appeal to me anymore. Which I'm glad to be honest. In the mean time I had my own source of "fun",  I began taking trips with my boyfriend to new cities and checking out new places together. I was thankful for this and in no way would I have wanted it in any other way.


As the school year went on the constant reminder slowly stopped bothering me. I started being happy where I was in school. I had let go of all my negative feelings about the things that bothered me. I became positive, I continued to work harder in my classes. In this moment I was genuinely excited for my future and what it held after transferring. Being able to transfer and finally be at any college I chose to apply to later on became my big motivation. Holding the feelings of jealousy and bitterness over things I could not control at the time was unreasonable, and thankfully these emotions no longer control my actions. I worried less about what I was missing out on. I was able to enjoy many things after changing my outlook on things. 


As I began to grow so did everyone else around me. I have been disconnecting with the people I thought I would be close with forever. I had also began meeting new people, creating new friendships. I do hold a few connections with people I had been close with for years, and there are some I am glad I moved on with life without them in it. I've changed, and I am happy I am the new  me. I have chosen not to allow any negativity and immaturity into my life along with unnecessary drama. I've realized my worth and I will no longer stress myself out over pleasing people. I'm happy with the people I have in life with me and I am happy with the friends I have that hold a place in my heart. 


Although a lot of things have changed within the year there isn't one thing I would take back. I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. So all of these changes in my life all were for a reason. I learned from my mistakes I have made so far this year and learned many other things in general that I will continue to carry with me. I am happy where I am in life and happy with all the accomplishments I have achieved this year. I've re-learned to enjoy the small things in life and to be patient for good things to come. 





"Everything has changed and yet, I am more me than I've ever been." 
- Iain Thomas

Add your comment

@zellelacdan